Monday, September 30, 2013

Long-Billed Dowitcher.

When we irrigate the meadows by our house, these cute little creatures show up. They are also a little south of us on what we call the goose reserve. The reserve is just a small lake that stays open all winter. It has a warm spring that runs into the lake. These Long-Billed Dowitchers are a shore bird! A shore bird in the scablands? Yep. We get a lot of shore birds that show up here. They  come and gobble up aquatic invertebrates in the mud. They have no idea what people are. You can walk right up to them and they keep pecking in the mud. There were probably about 20 of them.






Looking East. I just love when the sun light hits the hills. So pretty. Our house is down there in the canyon.


Thanks for stopping by.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, C, I so love that last picture....great pictures of the dowitcher, too. But, OH, that last shot...it is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know where all the long-billed dowitchers are. We don't see too many here. Nice shots of an interesting bird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a sky!! That darkness and then the golden sunlight are just glorious. Can't duplicate that stuff no way, ho how. And how lucky are you to be able to get to close to the dowitchers! I'm usually 75 yards away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow they are a bit off-course eh? The Long-Billed Dowitchers are lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good shots--so close. You pics are always so clear and crisp. MB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neat bird pictures. I have never heard of Long-Billed Dowitchers.

    Post a picture of your bright pink asters!

    Thanks for the laugh. You are right men don't handle pain well and root canels are NOT fun. I busted a filling in a lower moler. I have to go back in 2 weeks to get it fixed. I'm just happy I didn't break my crown. I think I busted the filling in June. It doesn't hurt so I didn't worry about it. The Dentist said I really should get it fixed with in a month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good (professional) shots of the birds. It's amazing you were able to get so close and the birds look natural. Also the last picture is almost like being there with you - exceptional.
    BC

    ReplyDelete
  8. you should head over there.http://www.paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com/
    Go for it easy peasy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! Each and every scene! It looks like that storm we've been reading about is heading into you as you snap away.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love everyone of these photos! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there - the Dowitchers are splendid looking birds! For all my birdwatching "genes" its that last image that stands out - what a landscape.


    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Hope you enjoyed the ranch.