Saturday, September 21, 2013

Whats up with Mother Nature?

Last Sunday, we had another vicious wind storm come through here. And along with the wind, came the dust! I was sitting on the back porch looking to the west. It looked like low laying fog on the meadow. The wind all of a sudden kicked in to high gear. I gathered up the dogs and cats and headed in the house. Sounded like rain hitting the house. WRONG! Dust. Lots of dust! Our home is a 50+ year old farm house. Its not sealed real tight. UGH! We did the best we could to shove towels around the doors.
There was thunder and lightning also. And  just enough rain to make the dirt smeary. The reason there was so much dust here. The wheat farmers just disked up their wheat stubble! We came outta the storm with a shattered tree, and debris everywhere. The neighboring towns didn't fair so well. They had power lines down, trees thrown everywhere, power out for 2 days.
Its not that unusual to get summer storms through here, just not this severe.

This purple ash tree crashed into the other ash tree and broke limbs off of it.





Cameron's dump truck.


My dump wagon. :)


The dust on the outside windows. I had to wash the whole house!



Tonight's sunset. Looks like fall.


Thanks for stopping by.

11 comments:

  1. I hate dust storms! It's unbelievable how the dust gets in everything. When trees start blowing over it's too windy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too windy for sure. You sure have had the crashing trees this year. Let's hope it's over. It makes for lots of work you don't really need. It is raining and windy this morning. First day of Fall but I need more sunshine. M

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is NASTY dirt windows...ugh! We have horrid dust storms in the spring...the dirt from Utah (the whole state is nothing but dirt) flies into our state and therefore into our houses! But I do think you have us beat.

    I loved your photo...can I pin it to PinTrest?

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate dust storms! I know what you're going through with the dust.It gives me asthma really bad somedays it gets so bad here.gorgeous fall sunset pic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sunset. But all that dust, yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thought of all that dust makes me thirsty! Hopefully mother nature will behave now!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, on the bright side, you now have more topsoil thanks to those farmers! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here is the Pinterest site...you might enjoy it also. http://www.pinterest.com/

    Here are my boards http://www.pinterest.com/dayphoto/boards/

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a mess you must have had! Do you have these dust storms often? Hearing about them makes me think of the Dust Bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never been in a dust storm, and I have to say that I am glad! But who knows what is worse, a dust storm or a snow storm.(depends on your frame of reference) :) Glad that the tree didn't fall on any major buildings! I like your dump wagon, you will have to show it empty, I think I need one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugg wow that was quite a storm! But lots of firewood for winter now ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Hope you enjoyed the ranch.