Friday, September 19, 2014

Round Two

Today we worked our keeping heifers. We like to sort our heifers while they are still with mama. It gives us a good idea how baby will turn out. Also you can see mama's temperament, is she nasty and flighty? Don't want the calf. Does she have a good udder, feet, eyes and confirmation. If all that's good and baby is "pretty", I like to keep them.

Today was a good day. The calves were well behaved and the weather was warm with a cool breeze.
Next week we will work all the steers. That'll be a long, LONG day. But, that will be behind us!

Mama's and babies headed to the corral. We will put the ponies away and sort on foot.

 
Curious little creatures. I sat down and the heifers all gathered round me. I dare not move to fast or they will scatter! Its nice that they are so friendly. Hope they stick around here awhile.
 
 


 

 
Come home to a beautiful almost fall sunset. You can see the leaves are starting to change.


And a gorgeous Canna plant with the sun lighting it up. Thank you Linda! I LOVE them! (click on her name and go check out her blog). She has wonderful stories about Life on a Colorado farm with some amazing pictures.


Thanks for stopping by.

12 comments:

  1. YAY your Canna Lily bloomed. So pretty. MB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the inquisitive heifers, a neighbor has a pen of bulls that follow me when I walk past. Love cannas, I did not have any this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love curious cows they make me smile everyday. Good job now you can have a few days rest. Love the Lily Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cattle can be very curious. But I would keep those calves as they have a very strong face!!! so much for this boy's judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like the curiousity in those cows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neat how the heifers gathered around you...and nice shots of them. Cannas are so beautiful--we have some in our gardens that are grown from bulbs passed down from my great-grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good idea on sorting the heifers. I wonder if the swirls on their heads can be markers of personality the way they are on horses.
    Lovely lily- I find red flowers are the hardest to photograph. I like the backlight on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those caves were just down right cute! Made me miss our cows!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheri,
    You must keep Hereford and F1 heifers for replacements?
    Glad you had a nice day to work cattle and had a chance to take a few photos.

    The guys got done chopping corn at our place by noon today. Moved over to the neighbor's and started chopping there this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy all eyes were sure on you. They look so sweet. Pretty fall colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, wow, what some good looking calves! They are so adorable. Love your fall shot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The light on your cannas is just glorious! I'm so glad you are enjoying them!!!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Hope you enjoyed the ranch.