Monday, July 29, 2013

Fightin' Fire

Well, the old fire truck and tanker truck got used today. There was a wheat stubble and grass fire south of us about 20 miles. The wheat had been cut a week ago. Thank goodness. A standing wheat fire is horrendous! It started at the corner of the state highway and a county road. Spread quickly. It looks like it burned about 200 or so acres. The small community of Washtucna called for mutual aid right around lunch time. So, Cameron took the tanker. Jake (Cameron's Dad) and I took the fire truck. All EMT's and fire fighters are volunteers. We do have to be certified. It was on the South side of the road so it did stay pretty much contained. If it jumped the road and headed North, it would have been ugly! There was standing wheat and range ground. Nothing to stop it for miles and miles. It was also windy which is never good in a fire! Here are a few pictures.

They had 2 tractors with disc's. They go around the edge of the fire to create a fire break.




Some of the fire from my vantage point.




A whirl wind, or dust devil. Full of soot. This is how fire also spreads.



Our 5000 gallon tanker truck. I operate it by filling up the fire trucks and handing out water.



Our 1500 gallon fire truck. Cameron is driving and Jake runs the hose. Coming to get more water.



The other side of the road this old barn is grateful.

16 comments:

  1. Man, I've seen more catastrophic fires in my lifetime than I ever wanted to live through. It is scary when it rears its ugly head. So glad it's contained. Fire can be beneficial when controlled, but when they get out of hand, they are frightening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you had to all the way to Washtucna. That;s a bad one. hlad it was contained and didn't jump any lines. And glad you all are safe. M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could remember how to spell--haha. I was typing in the dark. M

      Delete
  3. Exciting narrative and pictures of the fire and your fire fighting equipment. We drove through Washtucna on our way home and I believe we took a picture of that barn in the last frame. The local weather is forecasting mountain thunder showers for Wednesday hopefully they will stay there and let you get some rest. MB'B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my I am so glad your family knows what they are doing that is a very scary situation. I am reminded of Feral Woman and what they went through. I am impressed at your skills. Great shots of a very scary situation. Way to go I am glad it was contained. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. This could have been so much more devastating! Thank you for your great service. You are very brave. I am so glad you are all fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, What awesome skills you have! That has to be scary, seeing that fire and knowing what it could do. Takes courage to go out and do what you did. I love the photos, glad you took the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are thankful to have been on the receiving end of help from volunteer firefighters when we had a "controlled" pasture burn become uncontrolled last year. I am sure they are so appreciative of your time and commitment to helping. I know we were! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fires can be good, but sheesh, it's bad when they are out of control!
    Glad y'all got it contained.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good that you got this under control. The hazards are very high at this time of year. You have a very interesting fire fighting organization.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh boy. That's scary. So you're firefighters too. My friends in Yakima were telling me about fires...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man, I hate fire! Hopefully it'll rain good though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my, this is way more excitement than I would want anyone to have. It is just so scary to think about what could have been...glad it wasn't worse.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh not so fun. It's amazing how people come out of the wood works to aid when a fire is started. J is a Volunteer fireman and as of this year I am his assistant. Our fire unit is an old Dodge Pickup with a 350 gallon water tank on.

    We have been lucky this summer. There have been a few small fires started by haying equipment; nothing big or requiring many trucks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Golly! What started it? Lightening! I'm so glad you were there and everyone else!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Hope you enjoyed the ranch.