Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Weaning / shipping heifers

Today we weaned and shipped a truck load of heifers to Valentine Nebraska where they will go on to be replacement heifers for someone else.
It was a HOT day! 84*! Unusual for shipping..Usually we are bundled up with hand warmers and foot warmers. Not today! Tank tops and sweat!

Spook and I guarding the gate.


Cameron and Two bringing them up the "neck".


Two gettin' after a straggler.


Me on my long legged pony.


Mama's telling the babies they will be fine.


The last of the heifers going up the loading alley. Mamas on the other side.


The remaining of the feeders that will stay until we wean the steers.


Tonight's moon. Early tomorrow will be a full lunar eclipse. Starts here at 2:15 am - 5:45ampacific time. I hope to catch some of it. Hopefully.


Thanks for stopping by.

11 comments:

  1. We are weaning a few on the 20th and the rest on the 3rd of Nov. I cant wait. Thanks for the reminder of the moon, I thought it was a blood moon tonight here I am gonna try and get some pics of it as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat to see photos of your horses and dogs working hard with you to get the cattle in line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww----Love the bawling babies and mamas. My your horse does have looong legs. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always a great feeling to ship cattle. Sounds like things went well. 84*? We have been windy with highs in the high 50's maybe 60*.

    J and the cattle buyer are working on a date to ship a load of steers. Seems the two of them came to a price agreement quit quickly and can't get their schedules to mesh, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the lighting in these...and your long legged shot! I just was not up to getting up to see the blood moon...and don't even really regret it. But haven't ran into any pictures yet...if I could have stayed here at home and seen it, I would have, but I think I would have had to get out and go somewhere where i could get a better view of the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip on the eclipse. We'll take all the nice weather we can get at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Valentine is a fun place to play for me. I like the shadow shot, it gave me a good chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We didn't see a thing. I'll bet your place is noisy right now!!!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/?s=The+Adventures+of+Fuzzy+and+Boomer&submit=Search
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. We will get cattle off pasture in early November. It's a treat to leave them alone after two summers of drought when we had to pull them off early. We got nice moisture this summer. We have been warm here the past few days, but it's supposed to change at the end of the week. The eclipse started at 5:30 here. I went out to look. It was pretty even if I didn't get great photos. We had friends who lived in Valentine before moving here. We visited there three falls ago, though I don't think your cattle and us will see the same scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome shots of life on your ranch. That first one is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Hope you enjoyed the ranch.